Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Kitchen: A Work In Progress

Hello there! As I mentioned yesterday I'm working on making some changes in our kitchen. Our kitchen is small and on top of that it has low ceilings. Oh and I forgot to mention a brick wall. When we first looked at our house the exposed brick was one of the things that I really liked. It was unique especially given the history of our home. (The original part of the house was built in the 1930s and was a small brick home. In the early 1970s the previous owners purchased the property from family and hired an architect to build an addition. The exposed brick is an original exterior wall of the house.) Here is what the kitchen looked like when we first saw it...


(This picture was actually taken directly from the listing on Fizber.com.)

 However, over the past couple of months I've grown tired of looking at the somewhat dingy dark brick. It seems to suck all the light out of the room. Exposed brick does work in some spaces and I was hoping it would work for me but it just seems to make me feel like my kitchen is always dirty. With the being said painting the brick is on my list of things to do. Even though it will be covered with a layer of paint it will still add some nice texture and architetural interest to the room I think.

Anywho, that is what I was working with before I got all antsy and started taking cabinets and things down. This is currently what that same corner looks like...


Obviously this is a slightly different angle but you can see that the cabinet currently resides on the floor instead of the wall. We also took another cabinet down that was above the fridge. This cabinet had to go regardless because our refrigerator prevents the doors from being opened and closed. This is what that beautiful corner now looks like...


And for a disgusting close up....


Yes, I know. Not the most appetizing picture but sometimes things have to look worse before they look better. Some spackle and paint and it'll be good as new! And that will not happen on it's own unfortunately so I am off to spackle my little heart out!

No comments:

Post a Comment