Today over at The Nesting Place there is a linky party going on! It's about taking risks. This honestly couldn't have come at a more perfect time for me. Lately, I have been taking plenty of risks (for me anyways!). Two weeks ago I (finally) started this blog. I have been considering doing this for many, many months but kept being too chicken to take the plunge. I wasn't sure that I was capable of doing it. Now it's two weeks later and I already can't quite figure out why I waited so long. What did I have to lose?
Aside from starting this blog, I have taken other risks such as, ripping down cabinets as a first step to revamping my kitchen. The second step I took was partially influenced by The Nester's post regarding taking risks in your home. After reading her post I made this comment on her blog...
here. I had planned on linking up to the party with that post but I dove into yet another project in my kitchen. (I'm feeling motivated!) Painting my kitchen cabinets!
I have never loved our cabinets. There is nothing functionally wrong with them but I was never a fan of them. When we first moved in I tried to convince myself into liking them by changing the hardware to Oil Rubbed Bronze knobs but it didn't help. I even toyed with the idea of just changing the backsplash. After almost a year of living with them my feelings haven't changed.
I have wanted white cabinets since before we even owned a home. The Hubby isn't overly fond of white cabinetry but agreed to letting me paint them in an attempt to make our kitchen more aesthetically pleasing. After reading this post over at Centsational Girl's I thought I would put Rustoleum's Cabinet Transformation's to the test.
I purchased the kit from my local Home Depot and had it tinted to Pure White. According to Rustoleum they recommend using two coats of the tinted base. The above picture is after the second coat. This obviously won't do. Onto a third coat. If any of you are familiar with this product you know that it does not cover painting the interior of the cabinets. Unfortunately, this cabinet requires that the interior be painted because it has glass doors. (This is definitely the only time that I have considered it unfortunate to have glass doors! I love them for displaying my dishes and stemware!)
This is definitely a very slow and tedious process, despite not having to sand or prime my cabinetry. I spent my Friday night watching Fried Green Tomatoes and Waitress while deglossing cabinets for approximately 5 hours and I didn't even finish! I was hoping to have the cabinets painted by the end of the weekend but because I am going solo on this project it just didn't happen. Hopefully by weeks end I will have my kitchen functioning again!
At this point I'm not sure whether my risk is going to pay off or not. I'm sure hoping that it will. Hopefully I can share my success with all of you soon!
PS- I'm hoping to share a Before & After tomorrow so make sure to drop by!